Holiday Gift Shopping for Your Fashionista
It’s a Wrap
It was a splendid year for style and fashion in the city. We witnessed two industry-focused fashion weeks sponsored by the New Orleans Fashion Council,several chic retail openings in the Warehouse District, on Magazine Street and New Orleans’ environs. Our malls brought in high profile companies like Anthropologie, Michael Kors and the archetypalBrooks Brothers received a facelift. New Orleans has never looked so chic and our unique creative flair is not unappreciated.
Mariah had it all Wrong
The holidays are a time for merriment – a fewweeks to share and receive joy and an occasion to frolic andreverie—which is not unlike any other day here in the city. I asked some polished citizens ofNew Orleans what they would put on their“Style Wish List”, what they arecraving this season or what makes their heart race in spite of having been naughty or nice. When Mrs. Carey-Cannon sang the #1 Billboard Holiday song of all time, “All I want for Christmas is You,” she obviously did not talk to these folks. The consensus this season trends towards authenticity and timelessness. In light of the Kardasian/Humphries debacle, society needs the “real” back in reality.
The Holiday Lust List
“I’m getting in a big holiday shipment of The Words collection from my favorite jewelry designer Sydney Evans [www.sydneyevan.com]. I’m putting a yellow Love ring, a white Dream ring and a rose goldring on my list! I’m going to stack them to wear on my ring finger.” Jenny Carr, Owner of Snap Boutique
“A Chanel Chromatic timepiece, [made of] titanium and ceramic for $6,600.00 and if someone would like to buy it for me I would be most grateful.”Mike May, Jewelry Specialist, Saks 5th Avenue, and recently voted New Orleans’ Most Stylish Man
“Ooooh, the classic orange HEnamel bracelet from Hermés, that’s topping my wish list. It’s iconic.” Melissa Green, Avalon Retail Consulting and a sartorially smart-girl-about-town
“Well, I have been naughty but in a very nice way; all I want for Christmas is the Triple CVintage Chanel necklace hanging around my neck. Also, I will take a Balenciaga [handbag] in neon stuffed in my stocking.” Jacquelyn Hood, Chatta Box Boutique
“I have been very good and I hope Santa brings me a black Ducati Monster with a full face helmet and padded jacket; free time to ride it would be nice too.” Ken Gowland, Architect, Metrostudio
“I desire a Vintage Cartier Tank watch. I won’t even wear a timepiece unless that’s it! Dreaming is free.” Andrea Hardaway, Visual Manager, Anthropologie, New Orleans
“I would like a buckle front cape, some colorful fingerless gloves with the matching hat.” Brittany Robinson, Fashion Stylist Intern and Senior, Tulane University
The Elves Shop Local
My list this year includes a bevy of services and luxuries that are available right here in New Orleans. No need to jump on your iPad, search Amazon or bid on eBay; these tidbits can easily be picked up or called in for purchase.
– Someone to organize my office and closet, creating an orderly and beautiful space for my clothes and accessories.
- The Occasional Wife, 4306 Magazine Street, New Orleans, (504) 302-9893www.theoccasionalwife.com
– AG Adriano Goldschmied Sequined Ankle Leggings in midnight blue. Since I do not currently have any plans for New Years’ Eve, I am sure I will be sporting them to Rouse’s Supermarket.
- Saks 5th Avenue, The Shops at Canal Place, New Orleans see Jonathan Falgout for purchase
– A faux fur vest, leather pants and long fitted tees from my favorite boutiques.
- SNAP, 617 Metairie Road, Metairie, (504) 849-9988
- Hemline, 605 Metairie Rd, Suite B, Metairie, (504) 309-8778
- Chatta Box, 4114 Veterans Memorial Boulevard Metairie, (504) 454-1527
- Lola, 622 S. Carrollton Ave, New Orleans, (504)301-9410
- Azby’s, 5531 Magazine Street New Orleans, (504) 895-1311
– Loungewear that is appropriate in the company of children, andnot reminiscent of grandma’s housecoat.I’d also love a few pieces for later that might be worn by Fleur de Tease.
- Anthropologie New Orleans, The Shops at Canal Place, (504)592-9972
- Basics Underneath, 5513 Magazine Street New Orleans (504) 894-1000
- House of Lounge, 2044 Magazine Street, New Orleans, (504)671-8300
– Lululemon Athletica pants, shorts and jacket to wear to Nola Pilates.
- Lululemon Athletica, 802 Nashville Avenue New Orleans,(504) 895-2895
- Life Boutique,5422 Magazine Street, New Orleans, (504) 267-0380
- Nola Pilates, 6268 Vicksburg Street New Orleans, (504) 483-8880
Hope you have a dashing holiday season, happy shopping!
– AIMEE GOWLAND