1. Play With Pastels? Don’t wait for spring to paint on pale tones. Try minty green or soft pink!
How to: If you apply it correctly, any color can be considered a neutral. A good blending brush is crucial. For a final touch, wet your lips with a luscious natural-looking gloss. Popular hues range from sheer to shimmery pink. The trick is to keep the rest of your makeup soft (think ballet-slipper blush).
2. Shimmer Up a Smoky Eye? Instantly update the little black dress of makeup with the perfect accessory: a metallic hue. You can appear alluring, provocative and even seductive with the simple stroke of the brush.
How-to: Sweep shadow over the entire lid using a soft, fluffy brush. For a more intense look, smudge color under bottom lashes and add a touch of shimmer in the inner corner of the eye. For a little more smoke, add a hint of purple in lavender or deep plum.
3. Try Dramatic Lashes? Choose mascara that’s blacker than black, and for special occasions, add a pair of fake lashes.
How to: Start by curling lashes, then add two coats of mascara to create length and volume. Check out the new, trendy lash bars that are popping up all over. For the novice, many great tutorials online will teach you how to apply fake lashes. At the bat of an eye, you can apply a touch of your favorite eyeshadow in place of liner for even more glam.
4. Frost Your Eyes? Lighten up your look with icy white or silver shadows.
How to: Start with a pure, white shimmer shadow all over the lids and under the bottom lash line. Blend with a brush for a more subtle look. Warm up with a sweep of soft-pink blush on your cheeks. You will look renewed and feel instantly refreshed even if you were out partying or pulling an all-nighter the evening before.
5. Dress Your Eyes in Basic Black? We’re thinking Sophia Loren, not Amy Winehouse, so start thin and build up.
How to: To get that perfectly straight line, gently lift the lid at the brow. Start your line at the outer corner and work your way in. Use short strokes to get as close to the lash line as possible. Polish off your dramatic look by contrasting your dark eyes with soft pale lips. A touch of pink gloss will do the trick.