Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C and folic acid
• Look for strawberries with a bright red skin. White spots indicate under-ripened fruit.
• If squeezed, a perfectly ripened strawberry will yield a slight give. They shouldn’t be too soft or too hard.
• Smell your fruit! The most delicious strawberries will have the sweetest fragrance.
• Shop locally for the best selection. The shorter the distance your strawberries have to travel, the more likely they are to be fresh.
How to prepare and store strawberries
• Leave the caps (stems) intact on the strawberries to maintain the nutritional value.
• Do not rinse your strawberries until just before consumption. Excess moisture will cause the fruit to spoil more rapidly.
• Strawberries are sold in baskets to allow air to circulate. Store your strawberries in a colander and keep cool in the refrigerator.